Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

While I was in DC last weekend, I finished the book Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.


The story is told by Henry, a Chinese American man, who recounts his childhood and his friendship with Keiko, a Japanese American girl, during World War II.  I thought it was a great read. I really enjoy reading about history when there is a personal story attached to it, like this one. Strangely enough, the day after I finished this book was the anniversary of the day Japan surrendered the war, and there were all kinds of news stories about the events I had just read about and the memorial I had just visited in DC.

This book was a selection by the book club that I joined a few months ago with my friend Kim, of which I had previously been a half-hearted member. The first book we read after I joined was The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht - and none of us liked it. It took me forever to get through it and I did not enjoy the story at all, so I was somewhat discouraged by the whole book club idea. But I've been on a roll lately and am trying to finish the next book in time for our meeting next week! Next up...Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. After this meeting, we are joining forces with another group of friends who are starting a book club next month - hopefully I can keep up with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting :)